Research Papers at the National Scientific Congress
Submission Guidelines, Presentation Formats and Prizes
The Scientific Programme Committee of the 77th National Scientific Congress (NSC) of the Australian Society of Anaesthetists (ASA) invites you to submit a paper of your scientific research, for presentation as a free paper at the Congress in Adelaide.
Online paper submission via the Congress website open on Tuesday, 12 December 2017 and papers are due by Thursday, 17 May 2018.
Before preparing your paper and completing the submission process, please read the information below carefully.
Please note: Submissions for a prize category is open to ASA Members only
Presentation Formats and Prizes
There are three formats of presentations of scientific research at the annual National Scientific Congress – oral presentation, poster presentation and static poster display.
The prizes available are:
- Gilbert Troup ASA Prize – awarded for the best oral presentation of research;
- ASA Best Poster Prize – 3 prizes for the best poster presentations;
- ASA Trainee Poster Prize – awarded for the best poster presentation for research.
- The default presentation format is the Poster Presentation.
- An applicant may opt to present their research in the Gilbert Troup ASA session. If the presentation is accepted into this category, it will no longer be eligible for other awards, including the ASA Best Poster Prizes and the ASA TRAINEE Poster Prize.
- In addition to the ASA Best Poster Prizes, an ASA trainee may also opt to enter their research as a poster presentation in the ASA TRAINEE Poster Prize session. If accepted for both prize categories, they are then expected to present their work in both prize sessions in order to be eligible to win a prize in one or both categories.
- There is also a static Poster Display for those not wishing to present their research in a prize session or who are ineligible to do so according to the eligibility criteria. This format is not eligible for any prize. The applicant must select this option during the paper submission process.
Paper Submission Guidelines
Submission of the abstract is only via the portal on the NSC 2018 website. Please ensure you have read through the information provided on the Call for Papers page of the Congress website and below in regards to the submission of your abstract. Lodgement of the abstract acknowledges you agree to the terms and conditions detailed below.
For ease of submission, please download the Paper Template file and use that to construct your paper. The headings are an indication of the expected format. In addition to the maximum 400-word count of abstract text, ONE graph and/or ONE table of direct relevance to the results may be included. The list of authors and affiliations does not count towards the abstract word count. Any abbreviations must be spelt out on first use. The template lists the font details for the abstract.
No hardcopy, faxed or emailed submissions will be accepted
- Please remember that submitting a paper does NOT automatically register you as a Congress delegate. Congress registration must be done separately.
- All communications regarding your abstract submission will be sent to the email address you enter when submitting.
- We recommend that the email address belongs to the main author who will be presenting at the Congress.
Paper Review Process
Please note that the space available for presentations is limited and the Congress attracts a large number of submitted papers. Preference will be given to papers of the highest quality as judged by the Scientific Programme Committee.
The eligibility criteria are described in the prize descriptions below. The quality of the paper is rated based on the content (originality, methods, data analysis, and conclusion), the clinical relevance and the quality of the written text.
Please note: Applicants may be offered a presentation format different to that applied for and not all applications may be accepted.
All applicants, successful or otherwise, will be notified within an appropriate time frame to allow registration during the Early Bird Registration phase.
All successful applicants will be required to design, print and bring with them a poster for display for the duration of the Congress. The ASA considers the physical display of a poster, with the availability of the author to discuss their work, to be an important component of the Congress. A full description of the poster requirements and other details will be sent out once your abstract has been accepted.
In addition, each poster must be provided to the Congress in an electronic format (PDF) so that it can be viewed on computers, tablets and smart phones by the delegates, both during and after the Congress. These PDFs will remain available via the ASA website for a period of time after the Congress.
- The deadline for all paper submissions is Thursday, 17 May 2018.
- Accepted presenting authors will be required to pay and register for the Congress by the end of Early Bird registration. Failure to pay will result in the paper being withdrawn.
- If the presenting author is unable to attend the Congress, please notify us of an alternative presenter or withdraw the paper. Any alternative presenter must also register for the Congress.
- The paper submission is a separate process from registering as a delegate for the Congress.
- Submissions must be in English.
- Abstracts of no more than 400 words may be submitted.
- ONE graph and/or ONE table of direct relevance to the results may be included.
- The title, author lists and affiliations do not count towards the word count.
Terms and Conditions
By submitting a paper for presentation, you agree to the following terms and conditions:
- You have read, agreed to and meet the eligibility criteria and presentation format requirements of the research sessions that you have applied for.
- This is original research and that you are not submmitting a paper of research previously presented elsewhere.
- You confirm that the submission has been approved by all authors.
- Accepted authors will pay and register for the Congress by the given deadline. Failure to register will result in the paper being withdrawn.
- The acceptance of a paper does not imply provision of travel, accommodation or registration for the NSC, nor any other costs associated with preparation or presentation of the abstract, or any costs associated with attendance at the NSC.
- You give the ASA NSC permission to publish your abstract and/or PowerPoint
presentation on the Congress or ASA website, on CD ROM, USB drive and in the Congress Handbook if it is accepted for presentation.
- You give the ASA NSC permission to film or photograph your presentation at the Congress, post it on the Congress or ASA website or distribute it to ASA delegates via USB drive, CD-ROM, hardcopy or online.
- You give the ASA permission to publish your abstract in the journal of the ASA, Anaesthesia and Intensive Care.
Deadline for submission of papers: 17 May 2018
Authors advised of submission result: June 2018
Early Bird Registration deadline: 10 July 2018
Submit a Paper
To submit a paper, please click on the Speakers’ Portal button below.
If you have already submitted a paper and would like to review and/or update your details, or require further information or clarification, please contact the Congress Organisers:
ASA National Scientific Congress 2018 Secretariat
c/o International Conferences & Events (ICE) Australia Pty Ltd
T: +61 2 9368 1200